MOVO hardware overview
This section provides a quick description of the basic components of MOVO
MOVO consists of a number of components. You can think of MOVO as made up of three main sections:
- Motion base
- Lower torso
- Upper torso
The motion base powers MOVO and allows MOVO to move horizontally and sense the presence of obstacles at ground level. The motion base consists of:
- Chassis, wheels, and wheel motors
- 2 Li-Ion Batteries and charging system
- Power distribution
- NUC Navigation PC, which serves as ROS slave
- 2 laser scanners
- Ethernet switch
- Lower skin panels
The lower torso of MOVO is responsible for allowing MOVO to raise or lower its height. This consists of:
- Linear actuator
- Linear actuator motor
- Linear actuator position sensor and limit switches
- Linear actuator support structure
- Middle skin panels
The upper torso of MOVO allows for vision, grasping of objects, and speech-based communication. The upper section consists of:
- 0, 1, or 2 Kinova robotic arms (JACO 6DOF or 7DOF)
- Pan-tilt unit (with Kinect camera / microphone unit)
- NUC Vision PC, which is the ROS master, running Ubuntu 14.04 and with all development tools installed. It contains
- Hard drive
- Wi-fi router
- DHCP server
- Arm controller units
- “Dummy” base units for mounting JACO arms to MOVO and carrying power and controls to JACO arms.
- Audio amplifier and speakers
- Ethernet switch
- Human Machine Interface (HMI) panel
- Power distribution block
- Upper skin panels
The MOVO platform has interfaces for controlling MOVO, connecting to MOVO, and getting indications about status.
- MOVO Human-Machine Interface (HMI) panel
This section describes the Human-Machine Interface (HMI) panel, located on the rear of the upper torso.
- MOVO charging port
This section describes the charging port used to connect MOVO to its power supply and the indicators that display the charging state.
- LED panel
This section describes the LED status indicators on the right hand side of the motion base of MOVO.
- Joystick control
This section describes the joystick used for remote tele-operation of MOVO and the control mapping for the joystick.